In relation to Groupme heads up notifications, we have answered queries pertaining to how do I stop heads up notifications? and how to disable heads up notification android Marshmallow, Nougat, Oreo, and Pie.
Therefore, whether you want to set up your device to receive these notifications or get rid of them entirely, we’ve got you covered.
These are also simple steps that will ensure that you stop junk notifications on Android without damaging your smartphone in the process.
So, stick with us and we’ll get you informed on how to turn off the feature on your Nexus 6p/5x, Google Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Samsung, Infinix, Gionee, and One Plus smartphone.
What is GroupMe
GroupMe is a social messaging app that was launched by Microsoft in 2010 and it allows you to share pictures, videos, location, and direct messages between family and friends.
You can also like their messages, share emojis, and mute notifications amongst other capabilities.
GroupMe can be used on laptops, computers as well as Android, Windows, and iOS smartphones.
In the same vein, the app is not a necessity before you can send messages since it can also be done over messages.
All that is required to download the app, is to signup and then provide your phone number on the Microsoft’s page and the download link will be sent to you.
However, like many apps out there, it might be sending you heads up notification which you might not need.
What is Android Heads up Notifications
Android Heads up notification, on the other hand, is a new feature on smartphones running on the Android operating system
It displays a notification on any page the user is currently active on such as when they are playing games, browsing or watching videos.
In the past, these notifications were stuck to the status bar and as such, the user could only read them while they scroll.
From this observation, heads up notification meaning is Google’s aim of adopting the new feature is to make it easier to read notifications or messages and make responses directly from any active screen.
While this may come with its own perks, a lot of users are not happy with the intrusive and annoying screen.
It is also worthy to note that the screen can be removed but one will have to go through applications individually in order to change their settings.
This will definitely take a lot of time and a lot of apps will escape the process.
That being the case, we have outlined solutions and the easiest ways to disable Groupme heads up notifications on Android phone.
Keep in mind that these processes are not limited to only one variant of the OS, because it can be implemented on several others.
Why Should You Disable Heads Up Notification
While each person has their own personal reasons for wanting to disable the group me notifications, there are several that are common among people.
Notable among these are:
1. Battery draining:
If you get notifications several times in a day, then it can go a long way to drain your battery even though not by much.
In the same vein, since there is no way to control it on your phone and has been set as a priority, then you’ll just have to hope that you have a large battery capacity that can support occasional pop-ups.
2. Intrusive pop up:
Even though it’ll take a few seconds to close the pop-up message, it can become annoying and intrusive if it occurs frequently.
For intrusive, imagine enjoying your favorite game and half your screen gets suddenly gets covered by notification.
Definitely not a pleasant sight.
How to Turn Off Heads Up Notifications Oreo, Nougat, Marshmallow
The steps outlined below will enable you to turn off heads up notifications Oreo, Nougat, Marshmallow and other versions of the Android operating system.
Here, you can either go through the apps individually or use ADB (Android Debug Bridge) command to deactivate the feature which you can re-enable latter on.
And fret not, you’ll still be able to receive these notifications on your phone but without the intrusive pop up which is currently the case.
Option 1: Install Android Debug Bridge
An ADB is a command that gives your computer control over your phone and as such, you can give your phone certain instructions right from your Windows 10 or Mac PC.
On a normal day, you might be unable to manipulate certain setting right from your phone such as turning off heads up notifications pie.
That aside, ensure that you have not set up ADB on your computer prior to this time, if not you’ll have to skip this step entirely.
But if you haven’t, then go ahead and set up an ADB on your computer and phone.
Step 1: Download and Install ADB on your computer
- Hold down the Windows + R keys on your computer to make a search
- Type cmd and click on ‘OK’ in order to open your computer’s command prompt
On the other hand, if your computer is not based on the Windows OS, and it is either Mac or Linux, you’ll have to launch the Terminal app.
If you’re on Mac, use a combination of space and command bar and then type ‘Terminal’ before clicking on THE Enter.
- Next, search your computer’s hard drive for platform-tools and it is located in the ADB directory
- Copy the location of the folder exactly as displayed on your computer
In this case, it should look like this : C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools
- Now return to the command prompt
- Type cd and give space, then paste the folder location you copied
Your final code should look like this: cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools
- Hit the enter key
Step 2: Verify ADB connection
In this step, we need to verify if your computer can access your phone and as such, a test needs to be carried out directly from the command prompt.
Do the following:
- Plug your Android phone to your computer
- Still on the command prompt, type ADB devices
- If you’re using Windows PowerShell, Mac or Linux, add ./ after typing ADB devices
- Hit the enter key
Now if it has been successfully verified, you will see a bunch of numbers on your screen.
If it hasn’t, you’ll be prompted on your phone to grant access to your computer.
In this case, an allow USB debugging screen will be displayed, click on ‘Ok’
Step 3: Disable Heads Up Notification
Here’s the part where we’ll go ahead and disable peek heads up notification on your Android phone.
- Copy the piece of code below and paste it on command prompt: adb shell settings put global heads_up_notifications_enabled 0
- If you’re on Windows PowerShell, Mac, Linux, or add ./ to the last line of code
- Finally hit the enter key
And with that, you have successfully turned off these notifications and it takes away the need to go through apps individually to get it done.
What happens after turning it off you suddenly miss the feature, then you can re-enable it with some simple steps.
Step 4: How to turn on heads up notifications
- Like before, launch your computer’s command prompt
- Search for the platform folder and copy its location
- Paste it in the command prompt
- Connect your smartphone and then verify that your computer has access to your phone
- This time around, paste this line of code: adb shell settings put global heads_up_notifications_enabled 1
Option 2: Disable Heads Up Notifications Individually
A longer process to disabling heads up notifications from Facebook, YouTube, WhatsApp, and other apps is to go through each of the apps on your phone individually.
Here, you won’t need ADB but will have to follow the normal settings that are accessible on your phone.
If you’re using an Android Marshmallow or 8.1 Oreo, follow these steps:
- Navigate to your device’s settings
- Click on ‘Sound & Notification’ or ‘Apps & Notifications’
- Click on ‘Notifications’
- Next click on ‘App Notifications’
- Select the app such as WhatsApp or YouTube who notification you want to turn off
- If the app you are looking for is not listed, click on ‘See all apps’
- Toggle ‘Allow interruption’ function off and you would’ve successfully switched off the feature.
- Also, click on ‘Categories’
- Click on ‘Importance’, set the notification to ‘Low’
- You’ll also follow these steps to enable the feature again
How to Receive GroupMe notifications
If you’re using the app GroupMe you’ve followed the steps above to deactivate its notifications, you can still enable it.
- Launch the GroupMe app
- Navigate to ‘Notification Settings’
- Ensure that all the notification for chats are on
- Goto Specific group, and launch the chat settings
- Next, go to your smartphone settings
- Select Apps and Notifications
- Click on Notifications
- Open the GroupMe app
- Toggle between on an off
Now that you know how to disable Groupme heads up notifications on your Android Pie, Oreo, Nougat, Marshmallow and lower variants of the OS, you can be in control of when you access them.
Likewise, these steps are simple ones that will get you started in no time.
On the other hand, let us know if you encountered problems while trying out the steps outlined above.
The video below can help: