If you have a dry, flaking scalp, you may suspect dandruff. But it could be a sign of dry scalp. Dandruff and dry scalp have the same main symptoms, which are falling flakes and an itchy scalp, but they are two different conditions.
In the dry scalp, the skin gets irritated and flakes off. With dandruff, the cause is too much oil on the scalp. That excess oil causes skin cells to build up and then shed. Knowing which of these conditions you have can help you get the right treatment and banish those flakes for good.
Dry Scalp Causes:
There are several factors which can trigger off the dry scalp. Some of them are:
- Cold, dry air
- Older age
- Contact dermatitis which is caused by the reaction of the products applied on the scalp – e.g. shampoo, hairspray, and styling gel
- Physical or Emotional Stress
- Lack of proper rest/relaxation
- Hereditary influence
- Improper diet and/or excessive intake of sugar, fat or starch
Home Remedies To Get Rid of Dry Scalp:
The answer to How to get rid of dry scalp is here.
1. Scalp Massage:
It is the easiest and effective remedy to treat dry scalp. While applying oil or shampooing, do gentle scalp massage by rubbing your fingertips in a circular motion over your scalp.
2. Conditioning Treatments:
Choose the correct type of conditioning mask according to your hair type. Do it once a week for best results.
3. Tea Tree Oil Treatment:
This is known for its anti-bacterial and antiseptic properties. Apply it to your hair as alone or by diluting it with another carrier oil (such as castor oil or coconut oil) and leave it overnight to reap the benefits.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar Treatment:
Being anti-microbial, ACV reduces symptoms of dry scalp. It also exfoliates scalp which further helps in treating dry scalp.
5. Aloe Vera Treatment:
This gift of nature has anti-inflammatory properties which help reduce skin irritation. Aloe Vera is also an effective moisturizing agent.
6. Witch Hazel Treatment:
Meant for dry and sensitive skin, Witch Hazel is gifted with powerful astringent properties which helps soothe symptoms of dry scalp.
7. Baking Soda And Olive Oil Treatment:
While baking soda has antifungal and antibacterial properties, olive oil is moisturizing. Both when mixed in equal parts help exfoliate the dry scalp.
8. Yoghurt And Egg Treatment:
Both have unique abilities to treat dry scalp. Yoghurt is soothing on the skin and exfoliating, while eggs nourish and protect the scalp.
9. Avocado Treatment:
Rich in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids, avocados moisturize and protect the skin. Either eat them or apply them topically via avocado hair oil.
10. Oatmeal Head Mask Treatment:
Water added to ground oatmeal makes the gluten in it gooey. This coats your scalp and helps seal in moisture.
11. Mashed Bananas:
Nourishing and moisturizing, mashed bananas are a great treatment for dry scalp, even dandruff. Plus, it’s a natural antimicrobial.
12. Change Your Shampoo:
Dry scalp can happen due to regular use of shampoo or using products which are harsh for your scalp and hair. Switch over to a gentle hair formulation best suited for dry hair.
Also, go in for a professional and high-quality shampoo. And minimize the use of heated hair products and hair dryers to avoid hair drying out.
13. Stay Hydrated:
Dehydration not only parches your throat but also your skin and hair. For optimal hydration, drink 6-8 glasses of water a day.
You can change the frequency of the daily water intake according to the climate and temp. and your activity level.
14. Dietary Changes:
A poor diet that’s lacking in nutrition can play havoc with your hair and promote dry scalp. Include Omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin A and zinc in your diet to minimize dry scalp. Avoid over-consumption of sugar, salt and cooking oils.
Over and above the home remedies, here are some extra tips on how to treat dry scalp:
- Avoid going in for extreme hot or cold shower as they irritate the scalp and increase the dry feeling.
- Avoid using the blow dryer as hot air from it can dry out both the scalp and hair.
- The shampoo is the key. Go in for a gentle shampoo that doesn’t strip your hair of its natural oils.
- Do not shampoo daily as this will strip your scalp of moisture.
- Hair Serums provide a protective layer to your hair shaft getting you softer, shinier and smoother locks.
- Get an air humidifier. It protects your scalp from drying out by replacing lost moisture from the environment. Set the humidifier at about 60% to keep your scalp happy.