Paschimottanasana also is known as Seated Forward Bend is a popular form of asana. This routine is easy to perform and has innumerable health benefits. It treats the whole body system including high blood pressure and diabetes. The asana also offers the body a good amount of flexibility.
What Is Paschimottanasana?
Paschimottanasana is derived from a Sanskrit term: Paschima meaning West, Uttana meaning intensive stretching, and asana meaning yoga pose. The word Paschimottanasana is pronounced as POSH-ee-moh-tan-AHS-anna. It is also known by other names like Intense Dorsal Stretch, Ugrasana, and Fierce Pose. This form of asana benefits overall body.
Things to Know Before Trying Paschimottanasana:
Make sure you practice the seated forward bend pose on an empty stomach. It is vital to keep a gap of four to six hours after mealtime before you perform the asana. This can prevent indigestion and keep you energized throughout the time period. The best time to perform the asana is during morning hours but if you cannot, then evening hours are also suitable.
How to do the Paschimottanasana:
Here is a step-by-step tutorial on how to perform this asana:
- Sit on a flat surface.
- Stretch both legs outward. Your toes should point forward.
- Inhale and lift your arms.
- Next, exhale and bend your body forward.
- Extend out your arms towards your toes or to the furthest point. Do not overexert.
- Inhale. Lift your head slowly while stretching your spine.
- Exhale and extend your navel onwards your knees.
- Repeat this routine several times. Then, keep your head on your legs.
- Hold the pose.
- Inhale and get back to sitting position with stretched out arms.
- Exhale and lower your arms.
There are a few side effects you must remember before you start doing this asana:
- Avoid doing this routine if you suffer from diarrhoea or asthma.
- Those suffering from back pain should practice this asana daily under the supervision of a well-trained yoga instructor.
- Pregnant women should not practice Paschimottanasana.
Benefits of Paschimottanasana:
Here are several benefits of Paschimottanasana:
1. Calms Nervous System:
The asana provides the body with better flexibility and tones the spine. The spinal cord is an essential part of the nervous system. When you perform the Intense Dorsal Stretch, there is an increase in blood circulation which in turn calms down the nervous system. Try the routine daily to achieve its full benefits.
2. Weight Loss:
This yoga pose is greatly beneficial for burning belly fat. The good amount of stretching affects the whole body and thus helps in fat loss.
3. Helps to Fight Stress:
This routine is popularly known for harmonizing the nervous system in our body. Hence, it is quite helpful for fighting off anxiety, depression, and stress.
4. Improves Appetite:
The asana increases our appetite levels.
5. Treats Menopause and Menstrual Problems:
Doing this routine daily can combat menopause and other menstrual problems.
All the tips given in this article are only for the purpose of information. Please contact your physician before trying the above wellness program.
Also, please practice the Paschimottanasana under the supervision of a professional yoga trainer.
Paschimottanasana is highly relaxing for both mind and body. It will leave you energized and feeling renewed. Try it to believe.