Ever wondered why veins in our body get swollen, enlarged, and give a ‘twisting’ appearance. Their colour also changes to blue or dark purple. Blame it on varicose veins – which happen when faulty valves in the veins get blood to flow in the wrong direction. This leads to a considerable amount of discomfort, for which treatment is available.
Who all get affected by varicose veins?
More than 23 per cent of all adults. In fact, in the US, approx 1 out of 4 adults get affected by varicose veins.
Varicose Veins – Fast Facts
Did you know?
- Pregnant ladies are prone to getting varicose veins
- Overweight people can develop varicose veins
- When you see spider veins, swollen legs and aching ankles, it signals the onset of Varicose veins.
Symptoms Of Varicose Veins
In a majority of people suffering from varicose veins, there is no pain as such. But the usual varicose veins symptoms include
- Twisted, swollen and bulging veins
- Blue or dark purple veins
- varicose veins legs
Some patients can experience the following:
- Aching legs (in other words, varicose veins pain)
- Heaviness in legs – more after exercise or at night
- Swollen ankles
- Spider veins
- Skin discolouration near the varicose veins (usually it is brownish or blue in colour)
- Eczema (where the skin in the affected area becomes red, itchy and dry)
- Leg cramps (when standing up suddenly)
- Restless legs
- Whitish patch (looking like scars) at the ankles
- Skin shrinking (which happens when fat under the skin above the ankle becomes hard)
Any complications due to varicose veins? No complications in a majority of cases. But if complications develop, then bleeding, and inflammation of the vein can happen.
[su_posts template=”templates/teaser-loop.php” posts_per_page=”3″ tax_term=”35775″]
Causes Of Varicose Veins
Let me explain about varicose veins causes.
In the human body, the veins have one-way valves. This means that blood travels in one direction. If the valves become stretched and less ‘elastic’, the valves become weaker.
What does a weakened valve lead to?
It makes the blood leak backwards and flows in the opposite direction. When this happens, blood accumulates in the veins, which makes them swollen and enlarged.
How does that affect the legs?
It’s like this – the veins which are furthest from the heart are often most affected. That is why the legs suffer the most when it comes to varicose veins.
Obesity is also one of varicose veins causes. Family history is yet another cause behind it.
Home Remedies For Varicose Veins
Coming to the varicose veins home remedies:
a). In general, doctors recommend LIFESTYLE CHANGES instead of going in for aggressive treatments. And what are they like?
- Avoid standing for a long period of time. If your job needs you to stand for a longer period of time, then every 30 minutes try to move around at least once.
- Lose weight and maintain a healthy weight. Walking is the best therapy.
- Physical exercise is a must in order to improve blood circulation in your body.
- Avoid sitting with legs crossed.
- Sit or sleep with your feet raised on a pillow.
- Use stockings or compression socks. These stockings squeeze the patient’s legs – in the process, improves blood circulation. Tight they are around the ankles and loose further up the leg.
- Avoid wearing tight clothing such as belts.
If you already have varicose veins, you can still take these steps to prevent new varicose veins. Whenever you are resting or sleeping, try and elevate your legs.
b). KITCHEN REMEDIES are there at your disposal when it comes to treating the varicose vein problem. Let’s see what they are:
1. Olive Oil:
Mix equal amounts of olive oil and vitamin E oil. Warm it slightly. Then massage it on the spider veins – twice daily for one or two months.
Excellent herb it is to reduce inflammation and varicose veins symptoms. Slice 6 cloves of garlic. Put them in a clean glass jar. Now extract the juice of 3 oranges and add it to the jar. Add 2 tbsp olive oil. Allow the mixture to sit for 12 hours. Then shake the jar and put a few drops of the solution on your fingers. Massage the swollen veins with the solution for 15 minutes. Put a cotton cloth on the area and leave it overnight. Keep following this remedy daily for several months. In fact, include garlic in your diet as well.
3. Cayenne Pepper:
This is seen as a “miracle treatment” for spider veins. Cayenne pepper ups the blood circulation and reduces the pain of swollen veins. To a cup of hot water add 1 tsp cayenne pepper powder. Stir it well. Now drink this mixture 3 times a day for 1 to 2 months.
Apple Cider Vinegar, Witch Hazel and Butcher’s Broom are other varicose veins home remedies which proved to treat spider veins.
Diagnosis Of Varicose Veins
A physical examination needs to be done by a qualified doctor/practitioner. The patient will be asked to stand while the doc checks for any signs of swelling, which is an indication of varicose veins.
These are the diagnostic tests prescribed:
1. Doppler test: It is an ultrasound scan done to check the direction of blood flow in the veins. It also checks blood clots or obstructions in the veins.
2. Colour duplex ultrasound scan: This test provides colour images of the structure of veins so that the doctor can identify any abnormalities. It also measures the speed of blood flow.
Hope you liked the information on varicose veins. Do share it in your network of family and friends, and stress on the need to undertake lifestyle changes in order to escape the problem.
Do you have any question? comment below
[su_spoiler title=”Sources” style=”fancy” icon=”chevron-circle”]fashionlady.in