Menstrual Cycle can be rightly put as the cycle of life, that every woman is blessed with. But for many women, the blessing becomes a curse as they suffer highly irregular periods with an unbearable amount of pain.
Irregular Periods Causes
The reasons for irregular pain can be many:
- Eating disorders like bulimia and anorexia has often been a reason for irregular periods.
- Sudden weight gain or excessive weight loss also causes irregularity in the menstrual cycle. Extreme thinness or obesity not only results in inconsistent flow but often lead to the disappearance of cycles for prolonged periods too.
- Stress and emotional health too has a long bearing on the arrival of periods.
- The cycle gets affected in case you suffer from any hormonal condition.
- Frequency or intensity of menstruations is also controlled by intake of birth-control pills or any other drug that affects your hormones.
Signs And Symptoms
Irregular periods have the following signs and symptoms:
- You know your cycles pay you irregular visits if they are less than 21 days and more than 35 days apart.
- Missing three or more cycles are not an alarm for pregnancy, if you are sexually inactive, or are on safe birth control, they can be signs of irregular bleeding too.
- It’s healthy for you to have 3 to 4 days long periods, if your periods last for about a week, it’s time to consult a doctor.
- It’s normal to experience stomachache during those days, however, if these crams are excruciating and leading to vomiting or nausea, reasons can be the irregularity of the cycle.
- Spotting or bleeding after sex, or post-menopause, and at a time between two-period cycles is another sign that calls for immediate medical attention.
Find out the irregular periods home remedies for you:
Irregular periods cause more tension in the heads than anything else. So before you jump to deadly conclusions, here are some irregular periods home remedies:
What all you need– Ginger, sugar or honey, drinking water
Directions– Boil ½ teaspoon of ground ginger in half a cup drinking water, add sugar or honey, and drink when lukewarm.
How it works– Ginger helps in regulating monthly cycles and promotes consistent flow. It also relieves you of the stomach cramps.
Tip– You may drink this solution thrice daily for a month for great results.
What all you need – Fennel seeds and drinking water
Directions – Soak two tablespoons of fennel seeds in a glass of water overnight. Strain and drink empty stomach.
How it works – Emmenagogue fennel helps promote the flow and regulates the cycle. Also, its antispasmodic properties ease out the cramps and is a good irregular periods home remedy.
Tips – Imbibe the fennel seed-water daily for a month to observe changes.
3. Unripe Papaya
What all you need – Freshly chopped raw papaya – 1 bowl, salt,
Directions – You may either sprinkle some salt over a bowl full of raw papayas and munch as a snack or blend some cubed papayas with water in a mixer and make a juice out of it with added salt and ice cube and relish.
How it works: If the irregularity you are facing is due to stress or nearing menopause, raw papaya will fix it. It helps in contracting uterus muscle fibres and induces periods.
Tip: You must avoid this during your periods though.
What all you need – Turmeric powder- half a teaspoon or paste of freshly ground turmeric, warm milk
Directions – Mix turmeric powder, or ground turmeric (I prefer the later) with a glass full of lukewarm milk and gulp it down every night before sleep.
How it works – This irregular period home remedy spice has warming properties that mend hormonal imbalances and regulates menstruation. Its antispasmodic properties and anti-inflammatory aspects soothe down cramps too.
Tip – It can be taken for as long as you want, it has almost no side effects.
What all you need – Half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder, milk
Direction – Mix half teaspoon of the cinnamon powder to a glass of warm milk and sip.
How it works – Even cinnamon has warming properties that relieve stomach cramps; and the hydroxychalcone element regulates the insulin level.
Tip– If you are getting bored of milk, drink cinnamon tea or sprinkle your morning toast with some cinnamon powder.
6. Bitter Gourd
What all you need – Bitter Gourd, lemon, salt to taste
Direction – Blend pieces of bitter gourd in a mixer or juicer. Add half a lemon juice to this juice and sprinkle some salt to taste. Gulp it down your throat – yes, you can do it.
How it works – Bitter gourd is very effective in treating irregular periods and protecting the body from diabetes.
Tip– Drink this juice twice every day for a couple of weeks at stretch.
7. Sesame Seeds and Jaggery
What all you need – Handful of sesame seeds, jaggery to taste
Directions– Roast the sesame seeds, and form a fine powder by grinding them with jaggery. Consume a teaspoon powder every morning on an empty stomach for at least a month.
How it works – Together Sesame and Jaggery work miraculously to cure irregular periods.
Tips– This concentration should not be consumed during periods.
8. Coriander Seeds
What all you need – 2 cups of drinking water, 1 teaspoon of coriander seeds
Directions– Boil coriander seeds till the 2 cups of water turn to half. Strain and drink this water when cools down.
How it works – Coriander seeds top the list of home remedies for irregular periods as the emmenagogue stimulates and promotes menstrual flow.
Tips – Drink the coriander seed water every day for a month or two, following results, you may bring the consumption to twice or thrice a week for as long as you may want to.
9. Carrot Juice
What all you need– A bag full of carrots, or as much as you want.
Directions– Wash and chop fresh carrots and run them in a blender to make a smoothie out of it.
How it works– The vegetable is a healthy source of iron that regulates the proper functioning of hormones, thereby normalizing the irregular menstruation.
Tips-Drink this yummy smoothie regularly for your overall health.
What all you need– A bowl full of juicy black grapes
Directions– Pluck them out, wash them, make juice out of it of hit them in on your mouth whenever you want to.
How it works– Grapes are rich in iron; if your menstrual cycles are irregular due to anaemia, grapes will fix it.
Tips– Now don’t hog on grapes too much, they might give you loose motions.
11. Buttermilk and Radish Seeds
What all you need– 1 glass buttermilk, and 2 spoons heaps of radish seeds
Directions– Grind the two-ingredient together and stir it properly. Pour it down your throat.
How it works– Buttermilk helps in cooling down the human body, while radish seeds treat irregular periods.
Tips– Best way to enjoy this drink is to have it with your meals.
12. Sugarcane Juice
What all you need– Fresh sugar cane cubes, lemon juice, salt
Directions– You may prepare sugar juice by blending sugarcanes with water in a mixer and straining out the water, add a little lemon juice and salt to taste. Imbibe.
How it works– Sugarcane juice normalizes hormones and soothes down stomachache during periods.
Tips– Avoid if you are diabetic, or consult your doctor before consumption.
13. Aloe Vera
What all you need– A blade of fresh Aloe Vera leaf, a teaspoon of honey
Directions– Scrape off the inner gel of the leaf and beat it finely with honey. Gulp it down before having breakfast. Drink water to get rid of the bitterness.
How it works– The gel has unreal healing properties that would cure internal issues of your body leading to period troubles.
Tips– Must be avoided during periods.
14. Cumin and Sesame Seeds
What all you need– 250 grams of cumin seeds, 250 grams of sesame seeds, honey
Directions– Mix them together and grind them thoroughly to form a fine powder, store it in a clean container in a cool dry place. Consume 1 teaspoon of this powder with a teaspoon of honey every morning, till you see improvement in your cycle.
How it works-These spices are tremendously effective in treating oligomenorrhea.
Tips– You may continue to use them regularly, but then reduce the quantity.
15. Banyan Tree Roots
What all you need– Shreds of banyan root found in any herbal shop, cow’s milk, water
Directions– boil the roots shreds in water for 10 minutes, add water and drink when cooled down.
How it works– Herbal properties of banyan tree roots encourage proper functioning of your uterus.
Tips– Have it in small proportion for a longer duration before you hit the sack.
What all you need– Mint leaves, honey
Directions– Beat mint leaves in a mortar and add honey to the semi-paste. One teaspoon of this concoction is enough for one dose.
How it works– It helps regulate body temperature, leading to proper period flow.
Tips– Take it thrice every week in the morning.
What all you need– 5 – 6 figs, water
Directions– Boil the figs in a glass of water and drink when cool
How it works– Figs help regularize cycle
Tips– Safe to be consumed every day
What all you need– Dried Saffron petals, milk
Directions– Drink milk-soaked with dried saffron petals every night.
How it works-Saffron makes periods regular and cuts down the pain.
Tips– Drink before going to bed.
19. Apple Cider Vinegar
What all you need– Apple Cider Vinegar from the store
Directions– Intake 2 tablespoons of the solution with water every day
How it works– Reduces insulin levels and regulates menstruation
Tips– Consume before a meal
20. Vitamin C
What all you need– Any citrus fruit or Vitamin pills from the drug store
Directions– Include fresh fruits like orange, limetta or lime in your daily diet or follow up your meals with a vitamin pill
How it works– Vitamin C helps draining out impurities from the blood
Tips– Don’t consume citrus fruits at night time.
Prevention, Tips and After Care
- Check On Your Diet – Make sure you are eating a diet rich in iron, deficient of which can cause lesser or no menstrual flow. Don’t go on a crash diet without consulting a physician as this could reverse your irregular period home remedies.
- Use Hot Water Bag – Hold a hot water bag by your tummy, it will dissolve the clots and relieve you.
- Avoid Cold Beverage – Aerated drinks and the ones that contain caffeine must be avoided as they hamper the proper functioning of our body.
- Practice Yoga And Meditation – Adho Mukha Svanasan, Ustrasana, Dhanurasana, Malasana, and Matsyasana is the best Yoga positions to make your periods regular and meditation will take your body to a place of peace.
- Stay Away From Stress – Stress and tension lead to emotional imbalance, and your cycle is pushed further.
- Exercise – We know you don’t have time, but regular work out will help in proper functioning of the entire body and ease the pain of trying all those irregular period home remedies.
Do you have any question? Comment below
[su_spoiler title=”Sources” style=”fancy” icon=”chevron-circle”]fashionlady.in