Ayurveda simple means science or knowledge of life. It is gotten from two words ‘Ayur’ meaning “life”, and ‘Veda’ meaning “science” or “knowledge”. It is also a body of wisdom designed to help people stay healthy and vibrant.
Ayurveda can help you trim down without any sweat, starving or regrets. Some of the daily products we use are Ayurvedic products which help in the process. Products like ginger, buttermilk and so many more could all help you in losing weight.
Ever made an attempt to change your body weight? You can count on Ayurveda to do the job. But how? Youll find out in this article just read on.
How does Ayurveda Help in Weight Loss?
Ayurveda can help you trim down those pesky bulges around the belly and hips without sweating, starving, or regrets. Mind you, Ayurveda is the safest way to get back to the figure you wanted, without causing any side effects.
Ayurveda Medicine Vs Modern Medicine?
Well, the difference is simple.
While modern medicine treats the symptoms only, Ayurveda treats the body as a whole after finding the root cause of the problem(s), not just the symptoms.
Here is the List of Best Ayurveda Medicine for Weight Loss without Side Effects:
Simple to read and effective (when followed without a break)…
Going on fast once a week is highly recommended in Ayurveda. How does it help? It enables detoxification and smoother functioning of the digestive system.
Tips: When fasting, stay off the solid diet. Have more of water, green teas (ginger tea, tulsi tea, mint tea, etc) and clear vegetable soups.
Ayurveda suggests quite many common herbs for weight loss. They include Haritaki, Bibhitaki, Amalaki, Licorice, Tulsi, Aloe Vera, Vrikshamla, etc.
Tips: Most of the mentioned herbs can now be taken in ‘capsule’ form also, for ease of use.
According to the Ayurveda school of thought, ginger (with or without honey) burns fat, thereby assists in weight loss. The phytochemicals in it regulate the metabolism of cholesterol, inhibit fat accumulation and lower the cholesterol levels in the blood.
4. Horse Gram
According to Ayurvedic experts, Horse Gram helps lose weight. Let’s find out how.
- Soak a cup of horse gram overnight
- Now boil it around afternoon.
- Once cooked, add chopped onions and rock salt to taste.
Tips: Take this horse gram recipe for 45 days (no skipping even a single day!)
Note: Follow it up with one glass of buttermilk and see how fat is burned steadily.
Did you know, cabbage consumed in raw form is more potent?
- Eat a bowl of cabbage every day (in order to boost fat burning).
- You can have it ‘before food’, or as a ‘snack’.
Note: Cabbage can also be taken in ‘cooked’ form
6. Lemon & Honey
It is the most common remedy for weight loss. And delicious too! It reduces your appetite, does body detox and helps in weight loss without affecting your health.
- Brush your teeth first
- Then warm up a glass of water and keep it aside
- Slice a lemon into half and squeeze the juice
- Now pour the lemon juice into the glass of warm water
- Add a tsp of honey to the warm water-and-lemon juice combo
- Sip it slowly (not gulp)
Tips: Drink lemon and honey daily to get best results
Yeah, we all use Black Pepper – a natural herb to garnish our salads, yogurt, etc. But it is an excellent Ayurvedic recipe to lose weight. Piperine in black pepper brings the pungency of pepper and suppresses body fat.
- Blend 1 part yogurt with 4 parts of water.
- Add a pinch of black pepper, salt and cumin to it.
- Your ‘lassi’ is ready – tasty, refreshing and weight-trimming
Note: In the field of Ayurveda, black pepper is part of a herbal formula called Trikatu or “the three pungents” (pungent means spicy here).
Mix Kutki, chitrak and trikatu in equal proportions. Blend it well. Now gulp down 1/2 spoon of this mixture with warm water. Swish this mixture once and then swallow.
Tips: If you are overweight, have this concoction once a day. But if you are obese, then have it twice a day.
9. Digestive Aids
According to Ayurveda, one of the many reasons of weight gain is improper digestion. To trigger weight loss, increasing food items that can increase digestive fire. Examples – ginger, papaya, bitter gourd, garlic, chilli, etc.
10. Spice Up Your Food
Description: As hinted in the above point, lack of spice in foods can reduce the digestion fire. When you add cumin, cayenne pepper, mustard and black pepper, your weight loss would be good-to-go.
Note: In most recipes, substitute pepper for chilli, or combine both to get the digestive spark. Remember, pepper hardly aggravates acidity; rather it cools down (unlike chilli).
11. Aloe Vera Punch
Another Ayurvedic way for losing weight is through an Aloe Vera Punch. Check out how to make it.
- Get the following ingredients at your disposal – Aloe juice, turmeric powder, cumin powder, Tinospora cordifolia Powder and Terminalia Chebula Powder
- Now combine all of them, in a glass of water.
- You can also use warm water.
- Add 1 spoon of honey to the glass.
- Now drink it.
- Wait for min. one hour, before you eat anything.
Tips: Keep drinking Aloe Vera Punch till you lose enough of weight.
Note: Take the above ingredients that make Aloe Vera Punch in the following qty: Turmeric powder – a pinch, Cumin Seeds Powder – a pinch, Tinospora cordifolia Powder – a pinch, Terminalia Chebula Powder – a pinch, and Aloe Vera Juice – 1 to 2 tbsp
12. Digestive Tea
Yaa, you know of digestive fiber? But “digestive tea” sounds really new to some, doesn’t it? Here is how to make it. This tea, helps in faster digestion and weight loss.
- Assemble equal qty. of cumin seeds, coriander seeds and fennel seeds.
- Make it 1/2 spoon for one person.
- Add all the seeds to a bowl of water and bring it to a boil.
- Close the lid and let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Pour it into a flask
- Now keep sipping it throughout the day.
13. Six Tastes
Some ‘gyan’ for you…
Did you know, foods are classified on their taste factor – for instance, astringent, sour, bitter, salty, sweet and pungent (spicy)?
Your body needs all these tastes every day, so that it can function properly – for your digestive system and weight management. So do include all the 6 tastes if you want to stay fit and healthy.
Tips: Skip the following – meat, processed foods, overcooked or fried foods, refined salt and sugar.
Note: Go for healthy substitutes – rock salt, honey, licorice extract, etc.
14. Get Rid of Ama
‘Ama’ in Ayurveda symbolizes incomplete digestion. Ama build-up clogs lymph channels and boosts weight gain. So you need to take foods which help eliminate ama.
What are the foods that help get rid of ama?
- Triphala (a combination of amalaki, haritaki and bibbitaki),
- Trikatu (a combination of ginger, Indian long pepper and ginger, all in equal proportion)
Tips: You get these foods in capsules, and also powder form.
After the list, now for some tips…
Tips for Ayurveda Medicines During Weight Loss:
Before getting into the medicine front, here are some tips that will help you in your weight loss mission:
1. Early To Bed And Early To Rise
Remember, what our forefathers told us. It still holds good today. Yeah, early to bed and early to rise makes a mean healthy, wealthy and wise.
So, hit the bed by 10pm (your last call is 11pm), and get up next morning at 5am (latest by 6 am). When you follow this natural cycle, many health problems like obesity go out of the window.
2. Three Meals
Unless you have low blood sugar levels, stick to taking 3 meals. Multiple meals goes against Ayurveda. The ideal meal formula is a ‘healthy breakfast’, ‘scrumptious lunch’ and ‘light dinner’. Since our liver is best during the noon time, heavy meal should be at noon.
To facilitate a healthy detox, our liver should get enough rest at night (which is why the dinner should be light).
3. Go Natural
Seasonal fruits and veggies are some of the best natural diets you have. So, don shirk them but include them.
While 6-8 glasses of water is a must to keep your body hydrated, AVOID WATER before or soon after a meal. Taking food with water generally dilutes the stomach acids that help with digestion. This can be the reason for obesity, since food is not broken down or absorbed properly. When you sip warm water throughout the day, it helps in digestion and detoxification.
Do’s and Don’ts always help in the long run. Lets check them out.
Ayurveda Medicine Do’s and Dont’s:
Want sound health?
The right balance of specific doshas (vata, pitta and kapha) is needed. In comes Ayurveda – which lays down guidelines for a healthy lifestyle – with focus on nutrition.
Food is as crucial and powerful as medicine. So, you need to pay more attention to the quality of food, not the quantity.
- Eat intelligent foods (ones which are natural)
- Whenever possible, choose organic, and unprocessed foods.
- Include plenty of veggies and fruits in your diet plans. And there are ways and means to incorporate them.
For instance, add veggies to grains, stuff them in breads, have them in soups — there’s room for your favorite veggies in almost every dish. You can even start your day with pears and apples. There are so many ways, you know.
Are you a salad eater? Eat your raw veggies at lunch. This will give your body much time to digest your food.
- Drink plenty of warm water throughout the day. This will help flush toxins out of the body.
First thing in the morning, drink a glass of lukewarm water with a few drops of lemon juice and 1/2 tsp honey ON AN EMPTY STOMACH
- Include foods having pungent, astringent, and bitter taste in your meals
- Say yes to eating oats, pulses (moong and arhar); herbs (amla, bitter gourd, dried ginger, etc.) Eat light and nourishing foods like khichari or mung bean soup. Did you know, fresh juicy fruits are excellent cleansers?
- Dry massages and enemas are helpful.
- To bring down body weight, exercise not just your body but your mind as well
- Yoga exercises (Eg- Deep breathing exercises, or Pranayam) can accelerate weight loss.
- Do you know what Udvartana is? Its a weight-loss dry massage. And what does it do? Encourages weight loss, removes cellulite, loosens fat, and removes Kapha toxins from the body.
- Avoid “food fads”. There are fad diets which come up thanks to media hype. Don’t get carried away by research which comes up from time to time on foods, drinks, or a new diet “guaranteed” to work
- Avoid sleeping during the day
- Lessen the intake of “sweet” and sugary foods in your daily diet.
- Avoid carbonated soft drinks, caffeine, alcohol, and switch to life-giving beverages like water.
If you have any question, comment below and always remember to share our article.