Last Updated On
Oyster sauce describes a number of sauces made by cooking oysters. The most common in modern use is a viscous dark brown condiment made from oyster extracts, sugar, salt and water thickened with corn starch. Some versions may be darkened with caramel, though high-quality oyster sauce is naturally dark.1
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0.3 g||0%|
|Saturated fat 0 g||0%|
|Polyunsaturated fat 0.1 g|
|Monounsaturated fat 0.1 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg||0%|
|Sodium 2,733 mg||113%|
|Potassium 54 mg||1%|
|Total Carbohydrate 11 g||3%|
|Dietary fiber 0.3 g||1%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Protein 1.4 g||2%|
|Vitamin A||0%||Vitamin C||0%|
|Vitamin D||0%||Vitamin B-6||0%|
Oyster Sauce Substitute
There are several oyster sauce substitute out there, but these are simply the best and considered the closest substitute.
1. Soy sauce
Naturally fermented soy sauce is much thinner and saltier than oyster sauce, but it’s my go-to substitute because it adds those lovely savoury / umami flavours. I generally substitute a little less soy sauce than oyster.
For example in a stir fry using 3-4 tablespoons of oyster sauce, I’d substitute 2 tablespoons soy sauce and add more if needed.
If you want some sweetness you could add some extra white or brown sugar or honey but I don’t bother.
2. Sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
This Indonesian sauce is even sweeter than oyster sauce. But will work well. Consider using less at first rather than going for a 1:1 substitution.
3. Hoisin sauce
Another sweet and salty, commercial Chinese sauce. Use in a similar quantity to oyster sauce.
4. Fish sauce
Fish sauce is often used in conjunction with oyster sauce to flavour stir fries. It’s not sweet and quite salty and sharp in flavour. I have used it instead of oyster sauce with good results. As per soy sauce, start with less and add more as needed.3
5. Mushroom Soy Sauce
Both soy sauce and mushroom sauce are used to make mushroom soy sauce. It will give you the flavor of deep mushroom and slightly sweet taste. It produces the rich flavor of the mushroom sauce. Fermented mushrooms and soybeans are used to make it. You will enjoy the thickness of soy sauce.4
How To Make Oyster Sauce
You may want to learn how to make your own oyster sauce just in case the substitutes don’t really give you what you needed.
shucked with liquid
|soy sauce, tamari
- Drain the oysters and reserve the liquid.
- Add the oysters in a food processor, process until finely chopped.
- Transfer the oysters into a small saucepan.
- Add the reserved oyster liquid and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and, simmer for 8 to 12 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, add the salt and let cool completely.
- Drain the mixture through a fine sieve into the saucepan. Discard the pieces in the sieve.
- Measure the liquid, adding 2 tablespoons of soy sauce to each ½ cup liquid.
- Add another 1 tablespoon of soy sauce at the end and, bring to the boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat, gently simmering for 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool to room temperature and pour into a jar that has been boiled in the boiling water for 15 minutes.5
Seal tightly and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
It can be kept, refrigerated for approximately 1 month.
Video by Health.WHYS ↓
Oyster sauce contains oyster extracts and the salty and sweet taste is properly balanced. Sometimes anyone can face the problem of unavailability or unaffordability so people depend on the substitutes of oyster sauce that provide flavor to you. There are many varieties of oyster sauce substitute that I have already discussed with you. Both vegetarian and no- vegetarian people have their choices in accordance with their requirements as the oyster sauce substitute is available in vegetarian and non-vegetarian form.