Other than that, it also prevents other common illnesses such as heart disease, diabetes and cancer.
Why is skipping important?
Skipping offers the body a complete workout session allowing the abdomen to balance the body, using the legs to jump, and using the shoulders for spinning the rope.
In fact, skipping for 10 minutes is said to be equivalent to running a mile for eight minutes. Skipping rope for one hour can also help to burn about 1,300 calories.
What does jump rope do for your body?
There are several health benefits of skipping for your body. It not only improves heart rate and blood pressure but also allows you to choose a pace that best suits you.
In this way, your body improves its flexibility while maintaining coordination. Exercising daily using a skipping rope can improve your muscle functioning and bone density.
What is the rope skipping benefits for women?
- Skipping for weight loss
- Skipping for cardio
- Skipping for ABS
- Skipping for height increase
- Bone Density
- Good for Brain
- Increase in stamina
- Increase in attention skills
- Improve muscle tone
- Rehab purpose for injuries
- Increase strength in feet and ankles
- Improvement in agility
- Aids coordination and stability
- Improves flexibility
Different Types of Skipping Exercises
- Double Jump
- Cross Jump
- Single Leg Jump
Precautions while doing skipping
- Invest in a good quality rope. A rope that is not right can end up injuring your legs or ankles. Hence, go for a rope that is sturdy and strong.
- While skipping can be attempted on bare feet, repeated attempts might sore your legs. You should put on a pair of trainers or sports shoes to support your feet.
- While skipping, put on high impact sports bra. If you do not wear a proper fitting sports bra, it can lead to your breasts sagging.
- One good thing about skipping is it can be tried by people of any level i.e.; beginners, intermediates, and advanced. However, it is best to start slow and not go beyond your capabilities. Exerting pressure on your body can dangerously lead to heart pressure and also injure your joints.
- Mind the surface when you are skipping. Wooden floors, mats, or any other smooth surface can be safer for the legs.
- Attempt the skipping session in an open area free from any hooks or any other objects. Also, avoid doing it over low ceilings or open skies.
- Do few stretching exercises before jumping to the skipping session. A light warm up session can prepare the body for the higher intensity program.
Double jump is one of the most popular styles of skipping exercises. The steps are quite simple but it is often practised at high speed.
The results of a double jump can vary according to the speed and one’s ability to jump. A higher jumping result can also mean slower skipping, and a technique that is great for muscle toning.
At the same time, a double jump can also result in yielding a positive endurance training result.
How to do Double Jump Rope
- Stand up keeping both your feet apart.
- Hold the handle of the skipping rope in each hand.
- Keep the rope behind your legs.
- Bend your elbows at a 90 degree position.
- Swing the jumping rope from behind over your head, and swing it down toward the floor.
- Make a jump before the rope reaches the floor.
- Maintain a light landing using your feet balls.
- Repeat the steps.
Cross jump is not as intensive compared to other skipping techniques. This form is included in high-intensity workout plans when a person needs a breather from doing high cardio exercises.
The cross-jump can involve skipping using one foot after another. Here is a detailed step by step guide on how to do it.
How to do Cross Jump Rope
- Stand and spread your feet apart.
- Hold a handle on each hand, and bring the rope forward by rotating your wrists.
- Bring the rope to the front by rotating your wrists and forearms.
- Skip the rope using one foot followed by the other foot.
- Repeat the steps in fast forward motions, while being cautious not to trip over the rope.
Single leg jumps require good balance while putting on more weight on one leg. Since this is an advanced level, we advise you to try this technique after you have mastered double jumps and cross jumps.
To perfect your skills, you can start with balancing exercises like standing for a long period of time on one leg or doing asanas.
These exercises can make you feel prepared of what’s coming. Attempt the single-leg jumps with slow practice. Doing it swiftly might lead to slips, trips, and injuries.
How to do Single Leg Jump Rope
- Stand upright.
- Hold both the handles of the rope in each hand.
- Bend one knee and slowly lift one leg.
- Swing the rope using a single leg while not allowing the other leg to touch the ground.
- Repeat the same steps using the other leg.
What are the disadvantages of skipping rope?
- Women should avoid skipping during their menstrual cycle because it can lead to increased bleeding.
- Pregnant women should not try skipping because it can lead to miscarriage.
People with a history of medical conditions such as heart, asthma, and arthritis should avoid skipping for long stretches.
I hope this article has given insight into some of these queries; skipping rope benefits, skipping rope disadvantages, skipping rope exercise. If you have a question, comment below. Also, share this post and subscribe to our Newsletter.